Subject: Encapsulation

Encapsulation

From: Dean Debolt <ddebolt>
Date: Tuesday, March 2, 1993
I was taught in encapsulating that you leave small holes in the tape at
the corners of the mylar-d to permit you to squeeze out the air and also
to permit breathing of the paper.  To seal it totally, I was taught,
would create an environment for mold growth from the moisture content of
the paper.   I have now heard of some conservators who believe you seal
it entirely.  I've also had people (late-night TV watchers) who swear
that the TV commercials for plastic bag sealers, remove all the air, so
it is safe to store paper items in these since the air is gone.   I
won't talk about the plastics or acidity---but I am curious about the
total encapsulation with no air holes.  Would someone care to comment on
this?   Thank you.

Dean DeBolt

                   Distributed: Friday, March 5, 1993