Subject: Edible books

Edible books

From: Daniel Clement <76616.2144>
Date: Monday, March 1, 1993
Back to the important topic of Torsten Adair's edible book project...

How about making paper out of breakfast cereals (Shredded Wheat must be
good for something.), or fibrous veggies like asparagus, broccoli stalks,
or celery?  My friend Duke to me that some sort of hemp should be
considered, that it seemed to be quite digestible in brownies.   For
non-paper pages, how about huge lasagna noodles?  Maybe some sort of
taco shell toasted under weight?  For binding stiff sheets, perhaps a
spiral binding could be made from spaghetti.  The spaghetti would have to
been boiled and then wrapped around some sort of long cylinder in order
to create the spiral.

Conservation Science Marches On!  (Please be sure that you eat this book
when your done, and don't leave it in some innocent institution.)

Dan Clement
paper conservator
Ithaca, NY

                   Distributed: Friday, March 5, 1993