Subject: Materials in remote storage

Materials in remote storage

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Monday, March 1, 1993
I don't have personal experience with the preparation of brittle book
materials for transport or potentially long-term remote storage, but you
should talk to Carolyn Morrow (cmorro [at] harvarda__harvard__edu) about the
Harvard solution.  As I remember, it involves specially designed neutral
or buffered boxes with a slick coating to reduce potential abrasion of
binding materials.  You might also contact Susan Lee Bechtold at the
National Archives (202-501-5402)  about the use of shrink wrap for this
purpose.  NARA did extensive research into the properties of various
shrink wraps and their likely long-term effect on accelerated
deterioration of books.  I believe they identified DuPont Klysar as
acceptable, but I have no further details.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Conservation Center

                   Distributed: Friday, March 5, 1993