Subject: Older "archival" products

Older "archival" products

From: Daniel Clement <76616.2144>
Date: Monday, March 1, 1993
Regarding Barbara Austen's inquiry about older archival products, I can
tell you that during more than one routine screening of archival storage
boxes found during a general conservation survey, I have found early
Hollinger "Acid-Free" corrugated boxes to be acidic.  As I recall, the
pH was 5.something using the TAPPI Cold Water Extract method (T509).  I
suppose that they just dumped calcium carbonate into poorly processed
paper stock.  I have found no problems with newer Hollinger materials.

Dan Clement
Paper conservator
Ithaca, NY

                   Distributed: Friday, March 5, 1993