Subject: Materials in remote storage

Materials in remote storage

From: Nancy L. Hallock <hallock>
Date: Friday, February 26, 1993
The University of Pittsburgh now has a remote storage site for library
materials, with good climate controls.  Materials are being sent there
from crowded libraries all over campus.  I would like to know from other
libraries who have remote storage areas how they handle books which are
brittle and/or in poor condition with respect to housing in remote
facilities.  Are protective enclosures made for identified items? (e.g. a
title which has passed through the brittle books searching, the
bibliographer is not purchasing a replacement or having it filmed,but
does not want to discard) How are items prepared for transport, either
initially or if recalled for use by a patron?  If recalled, are items in
poor condition restricted to in-library use?  Who makes this
determination?  If a recalled item was not previously identified as
brittle can it be captured for the brittle books evaluation, or is it
simply returned to storage?  What are other important considerations? As
mentioned above, the facility in question has good climate control.
Also, books are shelved in accession order and therefore not subject to
shifting and intershelving of new arrivals.

Reply to me and I can summarize for the list, if there is sufficient
interest.

Nancy Hallock
403 Hillman Library
University of Pittsburgh