Subject: Masking slides

Masking slides

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1993
We use Light Impressions slide masking tape no. 425, a
pressure-sensitive "aluminized" polyester tape, which is also available
from many photo stores.

I wouldn't call it "archival," since the adhesive leaves a residue on
the face of the slide if it is removed, but I've noticed no creep in our
slide collections after more than 8 years, and we have had no trouble
with adhesive failure.  I prefer to unmount slides for masking, since
it's easier to align the tape, but in an emergency I've found it ok to
use the tape over the mount.  Press it into the corners with the rounded
point of a bone folder to avoid light smear at the edges of the mount.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Center

                 Distributed: Friday, February 19, 1993