Subject: Digital preservation of maps

Digital preservation of maps

From: David Y. Allen <dyallen>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 1993
I am investigating the possibility of preserving colored maps in digital
form.  I realize that digital records are not archivally permanent, and
that they cannot always substitute for the real thing.  However, there
are many advantages to having copies in digital form.  They can cut down
on use of the originals.  They can be sent to other libraries over the
Internet.  And sections of them can be readily printed.

The problems associated with preserving maps in digital form are
associated with the large size of maps and the need to preserve them in
color. To the best of my knowledge, there are no color scanners that are
capable of handling materials as large as most maps.  Or am I wrong?
Unless such a scanner exists, it appears to me that the best way to get
a map in digital form would be to digitize a photograph or possibly a
videotape of the map.  Has anyone tried to use this or other technology
to produce digital images of maps or similar materials (such as colored
posters)?  I would be most interested in hearing the thoughts and
experiences of others on this subject.

David Y Allen
Library-Reference
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3331