Subject: Sling psychrometers

Sling psychrometers

From: Robert Espinosa <librje>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1993
Following up on Lisa Mibach's comment about using battery powered
aspirating psychrometers instead of sling psychrometers...I would also
offer the endorsement for using data loggers instead of recording
hygrothermographs.  We have switched to a Mac based data logger made by
Langan products called the Databear, and I can't say enough good things
about them.  Actually what I really am endorsing is not any particular
brand of data logger--I'm sure there are many good ones out there--but
the whole change from recording hygrothermographs to using data loggers
and saving this information in a more useful format.  If you've ever
tried to use months or years worth of charts, and convince anyone of
anything, you know how difficult it is to transfer that info into
meaningful--and convincing--data.  What I like about the data-loggers is
not only that the visual plots are automatically also viewable as
numerically data in a whole range of formats, which can be used in a
variety of statistical ways, but that this is all done instantaneously
saving a great deal of time.  The maintenance required in changing
charts, calibrating machines, transferring (if at all) charted
information to numerically meaningful info is a horrendous task.  I
certainly have my days with computers and would not automatically
endorse computerization just for the sake of it, but I think this is a
marriage of need and computer application made in heaven.  I now run and
get my data-logger on the first day of the month, plug it into my mac
and click "retrieve" and am finished for another month in a matter of
seconds.  In addition the humidity sensor is guaranteed to be accurate
under typical   indoor conditions for at least a year.  The model I have
runs $960 which includes the software, which is not terribly more
expensive than good recording hygrothermographs. The address for the one
I have is

    Langan Products
    2660 California St.
    San Francisco, CA  94115