Subject: Manuscript storage

Manuscript storage

From: Jack C. Thompson <jct>
Date: Friday, February 5, 1993
Cobus,

As one of your requirements is that, from time to time, a single item
will be required for exhibition (and you don't know now what will be
wanted then) it seems to me that a post binding is the only reasonable
solution to your problem.

If BEVA-371 (thermoplastic) film is available to you at anything
approaching a reasonable cost, I would recommend using it in lieu of
traditional aqueous adhesives.  I'm just guessing here, but the leaves
you are confronted with are likely on more than one grade of paper, more
than one sort of ink, and probably will not have been treated before
binding, all of which argue for a non-aqueous solution.  Good luck.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217