Subject: NY Historical Society closing

NY Historical Society closing

From: Roberta Pilette <bm.hsz>
Date: Monday, February 8, 1993
I expect by now most people are aware that the N-Y Historical Society
will close to the public on Feb 19th.  The society has laid off 56% of
the present staff as of that date.  This includes all the conservators
except one conservator who is working on a special project in the paper
lab.

The remaining staff will be working towards a merger or affiliation as
well as rethinking the mission of the institution with a possible option
of reopening at a later date with a smaller collection and narrower
focus.  Since the final outcome of the institution has not been decided,
I would appreciate it if you would hold inquires regarding the disposal
of lab equipment and/or collections.

Thanks.
Bobbie Pilette, Book Conservator

                 Distributed: Friday, February 12, 1993