Subject: CFC's and Wei To

CFC's and Wei To

From: Sharlane Gubkin <sxg7>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 1993
At Case Western Reserve University Library we have been using a
non-aerosol deacidification spray developed by Preservation Technologies
of Glenshaw, PA.  The product is called Bookkeeper Deacidification Spray
and it contains no CFCs.  We have found in our tests that this product
raises the ph of treated papers to around 9 from initial readings of ph
4-6. There is no odor and inks have not run or been otherwise affected
to date after treatment with this product. Also, there have been no
clogging problems of the spray nozzle (like I'm sure you've all
experienced with Wei T'o Spray.) The cost is about the same as Wei T'o.
The company also makes an aerosol spray that does not contain CFCs but
we prefer the non-aerosol pump bottle for its ease of control during
use. Contact Dick Spatz or Bob Gaydos of Preservation Technologies,
800-486-1161, for further product and order information.

Sharlane Gubkin
Case Western Reserve University
University Library
(216)368-3465