Subject: Computer systems

Computer systems

From: Mark Ritchie <avfilm>
Date: Friday, January 22, 1993
We are beginning the second year of a four year departmental automation
project.  Year 1 was spent analyzing our existing computer and paper
base systems and developing a "where we are now" document (400 pages
long with a filing cabinet of support documents).  1993, our Year 2,
will be spent developing the functional requirements documents, modeling
and prototyping computer systems.  Years 3 and 4 will be spent
installing, testing and bringing into production the full system.

The project is using Oracle in a Unix environment and covers all aspects
of our departmental activities, financial, scheduling, cataloguing, etc.
and will be integrated into the University wide systems as they become
available.

I am now at the point of examining the functional requirements of the
preservation subsystem and would like to have suggestions regarding a
"Christmas Wishlist" of what should be in an ideal system and
suggestions from those who have already endured this type of process.  I
am particularly interested in what types of data you access most
frequently and ideas for reporting preservation status of materials. The
systems are intended to be as "paperless" as possible.  I am charged
with responsibility for the preservation of Motion pictures, videotapes,
slides, photographs, posters, press kits, and some artifacts.

Your suggestions will be most welcome.  I will keep the list informed of
our progress and whatever (mis)adventures come our way.  Thanks.

Mark Ritchie
Media Librarian
Audio-Visual Centre
University of Waterloo