Subject: Archival photocopying

Archival photocopying

From: Everett C. Wilkie Jr. <everett>
Date: Monday, January 11, 1993
Several years ago, at considerable time and expense, we completely
arranged our own institution's archives, redeeming them from the mess
they had become since 1825.  We have instituted retention schedules,
etc., to ensure that they don't become a mess again.

Nevertheless, one thing that bothers me about our archive program is
that all the photocopiers are loaded with non-archival paper; thus, our
retained copies, the ones that go into the archives, are on acid paper.
We are contemplating purchasing nothing but acid-free paper for all the
copiers, thereby ensuring that the archives no longer fill up with acid
paper.  (We don't trust people to change the paper as the situation may
require.)  We are aware of the expense and there is institutional will to
do this.

But, I could use a little ammo.  Does anyone else out there have such a
requirement for copier paper?  If not, how do you keep acid paper out of
your own archives?

Everett Wilkie
Head Librarian
The Connecticut Historical Society