Subject: Preservation principles

Preservation principles

From: Lisa Mibach <perygrine>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1993
Hilary Kaplan wrote

>When you don't know what to do, or aren't sure what to do, generally
>what you should do is nothing

Right On!!  Well said!  Wish I had thought of that when I wrote my
preventive conservation handout, "What to do when you can't afford to do
anything" (send your address if you want a copy)

I have now happily included your phrase in my special book..right
underneath "There ain't no such thing as an accident!"

I also appreciated your comments about the use of librarians' time in
relation to *cost-effective preservation activity*.  I didn't realize
that libraries are inhabited by cousins of the displacement-activity
museum-niks who would rather take a christening dress home to bleach
than get the collections out of mouldy cardboard boxes in puddles in the
basement.  There oughta be an Accountability!!!

::bowing respectfully::

Lisa Mibach

                Distributed: Thursday, January 14, 1993