Subject: Morpholine in sprinkler system

Morpholine in sprinkler system

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Friday, January 8, 1993
Installing a sprinkler system has come up as a subject in one of the
committees charged with planning a new addition to our library.  I was
not at the meeting, but one of the participants asked me about the effects
of morpholine (diethyleneimide oxide) on paper-based material.  The chemical
is used for cleaning water systems such as sprinklers.

Its obvious that water alone on books causes damage, but will morpholine
cause further or delayed damage?

    **** Moderator's comments:   Morpholine is an amine that was
    proposed as a reagent for mass deacidification (a process developed
    at the Barrows lab. There is a patent on the process and in a pinch
    I could probably find the company that holds it).

    Obviously, (at least I hope it's obvious) you would not want to dump
    morpholine on a stack, but whether the residual morpholine in the
    pipe represents a real threat, I couldn't say (hopefully someone
    else will)

Thanks

Jim

                 Distributed: Monday, January 11, 1993