Subject: Binding data standards

Binding data standards

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Friday, January 8, 1993
"You just call out my name, and I'll..."

The Working Group on Binding Data Elements is composed mainly of
representatives of Commercial Binderies, and is chaired by Steve Salmon
of Carlyle. Some other names you may recognize are: Jack Bendror
(Mekatronics), Bruce Jacobsen (Bridgeport National Bindery), J.C. Noyes
(Bridgeport), Paul Parisi (Acme Bookbinding/LBI) ... only two
"preservation librarians" have been involved to date: Debra McKern and
myself.

The Data Elements document is in a second draft, and looks quite good.
The Group has done quite a good job.  I do not feel at liberty to send
you copies of drafts, however you might contact Mr. Salmon at Carlyle
(FAX 415.349.3874). The drafts have concentrated upon the communication
of standard binding information, including: customer information,
customer address, binder information, binder address, shipment
information, item information, and binding information (what the UF
binding programming calls "binding technical information: cloth/cover
type, cloth/cover title, cover information, induces instructions, leaf
attachment, information important to catalogers. My praise isn't to say
that the document is perfect ... review for those who like notching will
note that permissible leaf attachment values lack double fan adhesive
with notching or information about notch turns. The document will be
reviewed again at ALA in Denver, (yuck) Colorado. It relies heavily upon
established standards: LBI Standard, ANSI Spine standard, etc. as well
as a wealth of professional and commercial knowledge about binding as a
source of permissible values and items in the data elements list.

Best of all ... after it gets through mapping, BISAC and SISAC and is
picked up through communications standards it promises to save us from
this last of the unautomated dark ages.

Erich J. Kesse
Preservation Office
University of Florida Libraries