Subject: Paperbacks vs. hardbacks

Paperbacks vs. hardbacks

From: Dina Schoonmaker <pschoonmaker>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 1993
Has anyone had experience purchasing the paper version of a book rather
the hardback to save money.  We are thinking of, for instance, buying
all Cambridge Univ. Press books in paper whenever possible, to save
money and because their bindings tend to break down easily.  The
question I have is: is the quality of the paper and the book block
comparable in paperbacks to hardbacks?  I think that is not the case in
some american University Press books.  I would hate to buy a "perfect"
bound book if a sewn-through-the-fold version is available,or a book
with acid paper if alkaline is available.  Thanks for any help.

Dina Schoonmaker
Oberlin College Library
Oberlin, OH 44074

                 Distributed: Thursday, January 7, 1993