Subject: Elvace

Elvace

From: Roberta Pilette <bm.hsz>
Date: Friday, December 4, 1992
The confusion on whether Elvace is still available or not I think stems
from the fact that there were two very similar formulas that Reichold
purchased from DuPont:  1874 became 40704 at Reichold and was then
discontinued and 1875 became 40705 at Reichold and is still being made.

I contacted Reichold to find out what the difference was between the two
formulas.  They are sending me the technical notes on 40704 which I can
then compare with the 40705 info that I have.  However, over the phone
Janelle Brown did a quick comparison of the two and where the
differences between the two is the viscosity.  The 40705 is a bit
thicker, I believe;  also the glass transition temperature differs very
slightly.  The formula is essentially the same with the percent solids
and pH identical.

My personal experience with Swift about a year ago when I started
looking for the elusive Elvace was anything but cooperative and helpful
so I have avoided dealing with them. When I asked Ms Brown about what
Swift was supplying she simply said that they were not authorized to
produce the Elvace formulas. This matches what Boyd stated in to Liz
Welsh.

So it looks like there are two sources for very similar PVA's which are
*almost* like the old 1874.  Seems to me its hardly panic time.

Bobbie

                 Distributed: Thursday, January 7, 1993