Subject: Binding data standards

Binding data standards

From: Nancy Elkington <bl.nee>
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 1993
Walter -- in skimming the Winter/1993 issue of the LITA Newsletter
(Library and Information Technology Association, a division of ALA)
I noticed an item that others might want to follow up on.  It
is on page 18 and titled "Current Work on a Binding Standard" by
James J. Michael, Vice-President, Marketing and Standards, Data
Research Associates.  I've lifted text below in quotations:

A "group has been working on a list of the necessary data elements for
automating a bindery module and for transmitting binding information
electronically between libraries and binderies.  The data elements and
definitions have gone through three revisions. When the list is
completed it will be sent to NISO for their review, comments and
balloting.  It will also be sent to BISAC and SISAC for mapping to
X12.....The group hopes to have its work done by the ALA Midwinter
meeting in 1993.  This process may also lend itself to more rapid
development of other standards." <LITA Newsletter, Issue 51, volume 14,
Number 1, page 18.    ISSN 0196-1799>

I'd be interested in whether any of our preservation colleagues have
been involved in this effort and whether it will serve to integrate
information currently handled in local library systems with data held in
proprietary binding systems.

Nancy Elkington, RLG

                 Distributed: Thursday, January 7, 1993