Subject: Oversewing

Oversewing

From: Sheryl Williams <swilliam>
Date: Monday, December 21, 1992
I am very aware of the argument against oversewing, but need some
back-up for the following arguments.  Is there information in the Cons
DistList files which would help me?  I appreciate your time.

    From the binder: Have to oversew because our medical volumes are too
    heavy for adhesive binding.

        (The volumes we send are always under 2", and generally run 1
        1/2-1 3/4".) ON THE OTHER HAND, we also hear from the binder
        that they have to use adhesive *because* our heavy pages break
        the needles in the sewing machines.)

    From another individual:  Has little or no use for adhesive, because
    the pages don't stay.  Opposed to changing method of binding.

    From the clerks who prepare the binding shipment:  We need some sort
    of guidelines which help in the decision process, beyond a 1/2+" of
    binding margin.  Don't want the responsibility of making a "wrong"
    decision.

This has really made for a long autumn for me.  I don't want the binding
to be only a judgment call, and I don't want to have to examine every
volume before we send it.  I was hoping that the bindery would send us
some of the discarded pages from our custom-collated volumes, to use as
examples when discussing weight of a volume, but they said there aren't
any to send.

Sheryl Williams
Head, Serials Dept.
McGoogan Library of Medicine