Subject: Mold control

Mold control

From: Lisa Mibach <perygrine>
Date: Saturday, December 26, 1992
The last museum storage I surveyed gave me an honest-to-goodness mold
allergy.  The allergist gave me a brochure from a company named

    Allergy Control Products, Inc
    96 Danbury Road
    Ridgefield CT 06877 tel: 1-800-422-DUST

They sell some interesting products, including:

    Mildew Remover X14 (I have NO idea what effect this would have on
    collections, but might be useful for walls etc)

        **** Moderator's comments:   If memory serves, X14 is a mixture
        of sodium hypochlorite, calcium hypochlorite, and sodium
        carbonate (I've got some in the kitchen, but the label is
        bleached away. ahem...).

    Vacu-Filt allergy control vacuum exhaust filters to put in your
    normal canister or hard encased upright vacuum cleaner (they say it
    removed 99.3% of particles down to 0.5 microns)

    an electrostatic air filter that does not generate ozone (seems to
    generate static charge from the movement of the air.  I don't know
    if this is ok for collections institutions or not, but I may try one
    at home),

    3M face mask model #9970 for dust, mold, and other airborne
    allergens "This model is capable of filtering particles in the .1-1
    micron range (dust particles are 5-15 microns.....should last
    150-200 hours under normal use"

    a disposable filter for room air conditioners., plus more.

Some of this might be useful for dealing with mold in collections.

Lisa Mibach

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 3, 1993