Subject: Hot melt glues

Hot melt glues

From: Charlotte Payne <clpayne>
Date: Tuesday, November 26, 1991
The "in-house bindery" section here at Davis which does the
tack-binding, velo-binding and pam binding is interested in purchasing a
Powis Parker Fastback binding system.  It is basically a hot melt system
using pre-glued binding strips which are heated when the material to be
bound is placed on top of them.  The plastic part of the strip is made
up of ethylene vinyl acetate, rosin and wax (which sounds pretty
standard for hot melts) but I have no further information on supplier,
proportions, etc.  This system is to take the place of velo binding
which may be more destructive to the paper because of the continuous
holes and which is certainly less easy to open and read or photocopy.
What do you think?  P.S. Excuse the typo: I meant ethylene VINYL
acetate.  P.P.S.  Due to budget constraints, there is no way the
in-house bindery section will be able to convert to "archivally sound"
binding methods only.  Thanks very much for your help.

Charlotte Payne
Harrison Preservation Department
Shields Library
UC Davis