Subject: Laser printer cartridges

Laser printer cartridges

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, November 24, 1991
The following discussion took place on JANITORS and is reposted here
without the knowledge or consent of the authors.

    Date: 20 Nov 91
    Sender: College and University Housekeeping Information
                  <JANITORS [at] UKANVM__BITNET>
    From: Ralph Stuart <RMGTRBS [at] UVMADMIN__bitnet>
    Subject:      Re: Laser Printer Toner

    Laser printer toner's major constituent is carbon black, which is "a
    finely divided form of carbon made from the incomplete combustion of
    hydrocarbons." The TLV is 3.5 mg/m3, based on the need to prevent
    excessive dirtiness. This value applies only to commercial products,
    not to soots derived from combustion sources, which may contain coal
    tar pitch volatiles. It is the coal tar pitch volatiles which are
    considered carcinogens. The studies in the information I have found
    that carbon black is not carcinogenic. The information I am
    referring to is the documentation for TLV's put out by the American
    Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, 5th edition.

    The bottom line is that toner should be handled to contain the mess
    of the carbon black, but there is no evidence for cancer concern
    from exposure to it.

    Ralph Stuart
    Chemical Safety Coordinator
    University of Vermont