Subject: Environment

Environment

From: Deborah Helfing <presv>
Date: Monday, November 18, 1991
Cleveland Public Library is currently in the design phase of a remote
storage facility.  We are interested in contacting other libraries who
are maintaining temperature and humidity levels conducive to
preservation in book storage areas.  We are especially interested in
discussing the costs involved in maintaining such systems.  We are
considering maintaining a constant temperature of 55 degrees to 60
degrees F; 50% RH + 3% diurnally and + 5% seasonal tolerance for book
storage areas. For photographic material storage we are looking at a
constant temperature of 50 degrees to 60 degrees F; 30 - 35% RH + 3%
diurnally and + 5% seasonal tolerance.  Based on these figures I would
be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced condensation problems
when material is brought out of storage. Does anyone have an
acclimatizing time and space for material called from storage?

Please contact Deborah Hefling on the Internet at Presv [at] Library__cpl__org
or phone 1-216-623-2813.  I will be happy to call you for a discussion
if you include your phone number in any response.

Thank you.
Deborah Helfing
Preservation Librarian
Cleveland Public Library