Subject: Microfilm readers

Microfilm readers

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Saturday, November 2, 1991
The following appeared on ARCHIVES and is reposted here without the
knowledge or consent of the author

    Date: 29 Oct 91
    From: "Lee Stout, C107 Pattee Library,
                  814-865-7931" <LJS [at] PSULIAS__bitnet>

    I passed on the question about Northwest and Dukane readers to our
    microforms librarian who provided me with the following response:

    "Microforms has tried out the Northwest several times and each time
    the machine stopped working during the trial week.   We do have
    several Dukane readers, but not the manual model.  Most librarians
    who want manual models want them because they think that they will
    be easier to keep running. I would really look for a reader for
    archival and manuscript materials that would be able to read a wide
    variety of reductions since manuscripts tend to be filmed at unusual
    reduction ratios (many manuscripts from Europe are filmed at 10x).
    Some readers have a zoom lens that will take care of this.

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 3, 1991