Subject: 1992 National Conference on Museum Security

1992 National Conference on Museum Security

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, October 27, 1991
The following appeared on Museum-L and is reposted here without the
knowledge or consent of the author

    Date: 23 Oct 91
    Sender: MUSEUM-L - MUSEUM discussion list <MUSEUM-L%UNMVM.BITNET [at] Forsythe__Stanford__EDU>
    From: "David Bridge, MSC VAX System Manager" <DAVID [at] SIMSC__bitnet>

    The Smithsonian Institution is pleased to announce its annual
    conference on museum security:

    The 1992 National Conference on Museum Security will be conducted in
    Washington, DC, February 9 through 13 and will take as its theme
    Protection Management and Construction Management--Shared
    Responsibilities.   We invite you to attend.  Our planning has drawn
    heavily on evaluations submitted at last year's conference and on a
    survey conducted last summer, and we feel that your suggestions have
    helped us develop a conference that will be more useful to you than
    ever before.  We will continue to ask for your suggestions as we
    plan for the conference in 1993 and later years.

    This year's construction sessions will address essential skills that
    many protection managers are unable to develop until it's almost too
    late.  We will help you develop the high- level skills you will need
    to manage through a budget crunch or to work through construction
    projects and long-range planning successfully.  You can look forward
    to hearing about the experiences a museum security director has had
    in dealing with contractors and how he has set parameters for access
    control and enforcement of sound security principles during
    construction stages.  There will be first-hand tips on how security
    managers can learn to read construction blueprints and plan
    effectively for needed security devices.  You will also hear from
    members of the design and construction disciplines so that you can
    better understand where they are coming from and learn to establish
    a cooperative relationship.

    The conference will, of course, offer much more than construction
    topics. Look for sessions on the Americans with Disabilities Act,
    new far-reaching legislation affecting all public accommodations.
    The agenda includes a special question-and-answer panel to address
    specific security problems you may want to raise, a break-out
    session on issues affecting library security, presentations of the
    latest information on fire protection and safety--including
    sprinklers and asbestos-removal concerns--and a technical update on
    the latest in security hardware and devices.

         For further information, contact

           Office of Protection Services
           Smithsonian Institution
           900 Jefferson Drive, SW