Subject: Conference on magnetic media

Conference on magnetic media

From: Jan Merrill-Oldham <hbladm18>
Date: Thursday, October 17, 1991
The Preservation of Library Materials Committee (PLMS) of ALA is
currently developing plans for a two-day conference on magnetic media,
to be held in 1993 (perhaps in Atlanta).  Included within the scope of
the program:  the nature of magnetic media (i.e., audio, video, and
computer tapes), how and why such media deteriorate; how they are
maintained and reformatted, what standards apply to their manufacture
and subsequent treatment, and the education and access issues related to
library and archives use of magnetic media.

The planning committee will be meeting for the third time at the
upcoming Midwinter meeting of ALA.  Institutional documentation would be
*extremely* helpful to us in refining our program outline and developing
scope notes for speakers.  We would very much appreciate policies in
*any* form (formally adopted documents, drafts, memos) that address the
following, vis-a-vis magnetic media:  acquisition, access, retention,
care and handling, cleaning, repair, storage, and purchase and
maintenance of equipment.  The information will be distributed only
among planning committee members, and is meant only to help anchor our
thinking.

Materials can be sent directly to me (the sooner the better).  Thank you
*very* much.

Jan Merrill-Oldham; Head,
Preservation Department; Babbidge Library, Box U-5P;
University of Connecticut; Storrs, CT  06269-1005

                 Distributed: Sunday, October 20, 1991