Subject: Dried adhesive

Dried adhesive

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Monday, October 7, 1991
Here's the problem.  The university president's wife thinks I'm a
conservator.  I'm not.  She sent me several volumes of Harvard Classics
belonging to the president, which have had "book repair tape" wrapped
around the top of the spine.  The adhesive has dried, leaving a white
residue on the deep red leatherette covers.

Next, she sent me these books two years ago. I called a conservator, he
gave me an estimate, I passed that on to her, but it was unacceptable.
Next, it would be great p-r if I could get this stuff off and I'm
willing to experiment, but I have no facilities and I know of the
potential dangers of working with solvents.

I've called around but I realize how tricky this work can be and people
are understandably leary about giving advice.

Any advice?

Jim Mason, Kansas State University.
(913)532-7437.

                Distributed: Saturday, October 12, 1991