Subject: Microfilm cleaners

Microfilm cleaners

From: Anne Pat Smith <smith>
Date: Friday, September 27, 1991
Several years ago, the Head of the Maps & Microform department received
a brochure advertising the Kinetronics (Model 8000) automatic microfilm
cleaning system. This information has now been passed on to me with a
recommendation for purchase.  The intent is to clean [silver] master
negatives which the library filmed from as far back as the early '60's.
I haven't had any luck contacting the Kinetronics Corp., last known
location - Lake Bluff, Illinois, where I had hoped to get some
additional information about this piece of equipment and maybe a list of
clients.  I did, however, receive information from ALTEK systems
(Houston, Texas) regarding the Extek 6065 automatic microfilm cleaner
and the NMI Microfilm (model 410) cleaning system.  I would be
interested in hearing from anyone familiar with or who may use one of
the above or perhaps another microfilm cleaning system. I am
particularly interested in: success rate, time required to clean a roll
of film, cost, positive/negative reactions on film. Is anyone using such
a system as a maintenance method for their entire microfilm collection
or is it limited to older items? I look forward to your response.
Thanks!

                Distributed: Sunday, September 29, 1991