Subject: Akzo open house

Akzo open house

From: Jan Merrill-Oldham <hbladm18>
Date: Thursday, September 26, 1991
    To:  People who will be attending ALA Midwinter
    From:  Dick Miller, Director, Book and Document Preservation, Akzo

    On Thursday, January 16, Akzo will host an OPEN HOUSE at our Deer
    Park complex. There will be tours of our DEZ Book and Document
    Preservation Facility and an authentic Texas barbecue buffet.  From
    10:00 AM to 4:00 PM we will provide complimentary transportation to
    and from close-in Houston Hobby Airport (Airline Code HOU).

    In 1989, Akzo obtained an exclusive, world-wide license for the
    Diethyl Zinc (DEZ) Gas Diffusion Mass Deacidification Process
    invented by the Library of Congress.  Under the License agreement,
    we undertook the obligation to make this technology available at
    reasonable cost to major library and archives groups throughout the
    world.  Our facility in Texas operates as a demonstration and
    small-scale commercial treatment unit.  It has the capacity to treat
    approximately 40,000 books per year.

    Southwest Airlines (1-800-531-5601) offers convenient frequent
    flights throughout the day from Hobby Airport to San Antonio.  The
    plan-ahead fare is $39 one-way and the regular one-way coach fare is
    $74.

    PLEASE JOIN US IN DEER PARK EN-ROUTE TO SAN ANTONIO.  We promise a
    warm Texas welcome and an informal, informative opportunity to view
    our work and learn about our capabilities.

                Distributed: Sunday, September 29, 1991