Subject: Glass plates and polyethylene foams

Glass plates and polyethylene foams

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Thursday, September 5, 1991
Thanks much, this is fantastically useful information.  The CCI stuff
should show up in the CHIN materials database but we shall see.

>BTW I hope you didn't get the idea that polyethylenes are bad.  They
>are

nope, worry not.  I have a wholesome appreciation of the distinctions
to be drawn from materials as they appear in chemistry books and
materials as they come off the factory floor.

>However, even if the methods are not directly applicable to your problem,
>I think that the information would be useful.

Actually, except that there is the added problem that in my
application the plates will be stored for a longer time, so things
like outgassing are more critical, transport packaging would seem to
be a most relevant matter.  Although the sorts of stresses in a quake
*can* be different than those in a rough sea voyage, for packages as
small as this, the shocks seem pretty similar (eg we are aiming for
something that could withstand a fall from the top of a library shelf
(I havent figured out how much additional protection will be aimed for
(eg how many mountains of crud should be able to fall on top of the
package.)

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 8, 1991