Subject: Foams Glass plate negative housing

Foams Glass plate negative housing

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Wednesday, September 4, 1991
    **** Moderator's comments:   Before Doug gets mad at me for posting
    so much of his text at one time (he is wont to become embarrassed by
    the volume of his contributions to the DistList) let me point out
    that the exchange that follows was not intended for posting and is
    being impressed under the "fair game for inclusion" rule;  like so
    much of what Doug writes, it is just too good to keep to myself.

I am about to try to come up with some sort of housing for glass plates,
the main aim being safety in (I hate to say the word anymore)
earthquakes, and am toying with the idea of doing something with
ethafoam or (preferably) something cushionier (hey, I made up a new
word).  Now, given all you said a while back about polyethylene films,
instinct tells me to isolate the image from the foam, which I guess I
would do anyway to avoid abrasion, but do you know of any work done on
foams and photographic materials?

    **** Moderator's comments:   This refers to an private dialog
    a portion of which (dated Tue, 2 Oct 90 11:26 EST) is reproduced
    below

Later in the week I will do an AATA search and a search of the Materials
database at the Getty, but Im not terribly optimistic (if I find
anything, I'll email you the search results, if you like).\ ...

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 8, 1991