Subject: Copying photographs

Copying photographs

From: Cathy Larson <cadlarts>
Date: Tuesday, September 3, 1991
On the advice of a consultant, the Libraries has taken on a small
project to copy its collection of approx. 1,200 photographs of Native
North Americans taken by William Henry Jackson.  The prints are albumen
printing-out paper photographs ranging in size from 4" x 5" to 11" x
14".  To reduce wear and tear on the originals we plan to produce 4" x
5" copy negatives and produce prints as needed.  Query: my perusal of
the literature has turned up no standards for measuring the quality of
either the negatives or resulting prints. Does anyone know if such
standards exist?  If not, how have project managers pronounced
themselves satisfied with the results? Thanks.

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 4, 1991