Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Sue Bigelow <sue_bigelow>
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 1991
    Reviewing the DistLists of past years, I read with interest the
discussion of data loggers, especially the observations about the ACR
brand.  We are planning to start a regional conservation service in
British Columbia, and we would like to purchase several data loggers
which could be loaned to institutions.  Our intention is that the logger
would be returned after 3-4 months, the data printed and sent to the
institution.

    I have been charged with the responsibility of finding the best
logger, and I'm confused by the variety.  It seems to me that we are
most interested in durability and reliability, and not so concerned with
real-time readouts, as they tend to involve external buttons which might
get pushed by the wrong people at the wrong time.  The selection
currently seems to consist of Rustrak, Data Bear, ACR, and something
called Squirrel.  Any advice on the best for our purposes?

    BTW, ACR has consolidated its basic and expert software into one
package, selling for under $200. Responding to complaints that the metal
casing hindered quick adjustment of the temperature sensor in extreme
conditions (such as when freeze fumigating), they have replaced it with
a plastic casing.  They have otherwise redesigned the new model (just
out this week) by making the humidity sensor removable, so you can buy a
new one ($150) rather than recalibrate it.  The humidity sensor can be
ruined by exposure to tobacco or fresh paint fumes, so I guess this
makes some economic sense.

    Sue Bigelow
    City of Vancouver Archives

    **** Moderator's comments:   I sent Sue some text on dataloggers.
    If anyone else would like a copy, send me a message.  Also, check
    the FileList for previous discussions.

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 31, 1991