Subject: Dewpoint

Dewpoint

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Monday, August 26, 1991
The following discussion took place in sci.geo.meteorology and is
reposted here without the knowledge or permission of the authors.

 Article: 1019 of sci.geo.meteorology
 From: moonunit [at] meteor__wisc__edu (Chris Bovitz)
 Newsgroups: sci.geo.meteorology
 Date: 21 Aug 91

 In article <1991Aug21.095313.32841 [at] kuhub__cc__ukans__edu>
                 arritt [at] kuhub__cc__ukans__edu writes:
 >In article <1106 [at] uswnvg__UUCP>, cjackso [at] uswnvg__UUCP (
 >               Clay Jackson) writes:
 >> Does anyone have the formula for obtaining dewpoint from RH and
 >> dry bulb temp (and vice versa)?
 >
 >The following article is very useful for this type of problem. It
 >also has formulations for the lifting condensation level, equivalent
 >potential temperature, etc., all to very high accuracy.

 Bolton, D., 1980: The computation of equivalent potential temperature.
 Monthly Weather Review, 108, 1046-1053.

 In the _Smithsonian_Meteorological_Tables_, there is a formula which
 will give you the actual vapor pressure (use dew point temp) and the
 saturation vapor pressure (use dry bulb temp).  Since RH = E / Es (where
 E = vapor pressure, Es = saturation vapor pressure), you know any two,
 you can get the third.

 If you use the Sixth Revised Edition (1951), there is an error in the
 Goff-Gratch equation's second-to-last term: it should be multiplied by
 10^-3.

 Chris

 --
 Chris Bovitz              | Twins Update: (08/20)  beat SEA 10-5
 Department of Meteorology |     AL West:   MIN  72-49   --

 Article: 1021 of sci.geo.meteorology