Subject: Video and film recording lights

Video and film recording lights

From: Nancy Elkington <bl.nee>
Date: Thursday, August 15, 1991
    **** Moderator's comments: The following query comes from a person
    who is not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of general
    interest post it here as well

    Date: 15 Aug 91
    From: Edmund Berkeley <eb2c [at] poe__acc__Virginia__EDU>
    To: exlibris [at] ZODIAC__BITNET

    At the University of Virginia, we are seeing more researchers,
    including professional teams, who want to use video and film
    equipment and the extremely powerful lights often necessary for good
    recording of images. And we are concerned about the effects on our
    books and manuscripts of prolonged exposure to those lights during
    recording. A researcher told me a few days ago that the National
    Archives limited her to 30 seconds of lights per item that she
    wanted to film.

    Has anyone established a policy for such recording work and the
    lights? If so, I'd be grateful to you for sharing the details. I'd
    also be interested in any journal references to the effects of such
    light. I know many persons are concerned about the lights in Xerox
    machines, and I am interested in that as well.

    My thanks in advance.  Ned Berkeley, Special Collections, University
    of Virginia--EB@C@VIRGINIA.EDU

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 17, 1991