Subject: Audiotape equipment/standards

Audiotape equipment/standards

From: Patricia Palmer <pepalmer>
Date: Thursday, August 1, 1991
    **** Moderator's comments:   The following appeared on ARCHIVES and
    is reposted here without the knowledge or consent of the authors.

    Date: 1 Aug 91
    From: Peter Hirtle <hirtle [at] NLM__NIH__GOV>
    Sender: Archives & Archivists list <ARCHIVES [at] INDYCMS__BITNET>

    I am looking at replacing the equipment we use for playing and
    copying the reel-to-reel and cassette tapes in our oral history
    collection.  Many of these tapes which are now 25 to 30 years old
    should probably be copied onto new tape as well.  Does anyone have
    any suggestions on where I can look for the latest information on
    audiotape preservation, and in particular on what equipment to buy
    or what to look for in equipment for long-term storage of audio
    tapes?  Are there any firms that specialize in copying old tapes to
    whom we could contract out this work?

    Peter B. Hirtle                         Hirtle [at] lhc__nlm__nih__gov
    Curator, Modern MSS                     800/272-4787  3-1-2-2
    National Library of Medicine
    Bethesda, MD 20894

                  Distributed: Sunday, August 4, 1991