Subject: Problem with negative enclosures

Problem with negative enclosures

From: Robert Espinosa <librje>
Date: Thursday, July 11, 1991
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to the one I'm
having.  It's about four-flap negative and glass plate enclosures. I
ordered a big batch from CRI, and to my dismay they arrived with very
ragged edges and worse, lots of paper dust all over.  They are die cut,
and after talking to CRI, they tried to tell me that this was just the
result of the extra long fiber they use for these, to have that great
fold endurance they have.  I explained that the dust problem was a very
serious liability, and they suggested that this batch was just not
"brushed off" after cutting.  The problem is way beyond brushing off.
There are so many loose particles of paper that this problem can be
expected to go on for years, and at the very least be immediately
transferred to the negatives when they are inserted.  So far no
resolution from CRI, although I expect to send them back for credit and
go on to something else.  But the dis- heartening thing about it is that
I really went to bat for these four-flap enclosures with my curators,
who were very opposed to all the trouble and extra expense of this type
over the old envelope style of enclosure.  Now I am on the verge of
saying, you can have the envelope style, as long as the negs are of
relatively low use.

I am wondering if anyone has had the same experience with these
particular enclosures, or similar types of enclosures, and any comments
you might have on the general problem.

Robert Espinosa
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah