Subject: Mineral Light

Mineral Light

From: Charlotte Brown <c_brown>
Date: Friday, June 7, 1991
A researcher contacted me the other day re: using an U.V. light (also
called a mineral light ?) to "bring out" the handwritten ink text of a
faded 18th c. manuscript to the point were it is decipherable.  Since I
had never heard of such a technique, I advised the researcher to call
the Northeast Document Conservation Center.  NEDCC knew of the process
and indicated that it does enhance the text.

My question:  such intense exposure to U.V. light - short of duration it
may be - must have an adverse effect upon the document, correct ?  I
know that photocopying a ms.through a clear colored film (yellow, green)
often works, but that was not an option in this case.  Are there other
methods ?

My advice to the researcher was to read the manuscript as quickly as
possible and to create a transcription for future referral.

Charlotte B. Brown
Franklin & Marshall College
c_brown [at] fandmlib__bitnet

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 9, 1991