Subject: Curators and Conservators Discussion Group

Curators and Conservators Discussion Group

From: Sidney Berger <spcolseb>
Date: Monday, May 20, 1991
I have tallied all the questionnaires I handed out at the last meeting
of the RBMS Curators and Conservators Discussion Group.  Six topics
raised the most interest:  Exhibitions; Types of records conservators
must keep for the benefit of curators and users; Prioritizing
conservation treatment: who decides?; Educating conservators (about
curatorial concerns); Marking books for security; and Handling special
formats (film, micro-film, video- and audio- disks, etc.).

   For the coming meeting at ALA this June, I will bring in an artifact
(I believe it will be a book or two) for the first part of our
discussion, and then I would like to begin discussing the first topic
(getting the maximum number of votes from those voting):  Types of
records conservators must keep.

   If any of you have conservation records (blank forms or filled out
ones) that you wouldn't mind sharing, please mail them to me at Rivera
Library, P.O. Box 5900, Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92517.  Thank
you.

Sid Berger, Head of Special Collections

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 25, 1991