Subject: Liquid-gate printing of glass negatives

Liquid-gate printing of glass negatives

From: Bob Kosovsky <kos>
Date: Friday, May 24, 1991
I know there is a process for printing moving picture film called liquid
gate. Basically it's where the gate used to print a copy of the film is
somehow simulated to be in a liquid.  The liquid refracts the image so
that imperfections are "corrected" -- in the same way for instance,
water placed on a scratched eyeglass lens or watch crystal will make
such items appear to be in better condition than they are.

At work we have a good amount of glass negatives (some nitrate) that are
either cracked or actually broken.  Has there been some application of
this liquid gate technique to the processing of still film?  (My
colleague who attended the RIT seminar didn't have an answer for this
one.)  Thanks.

Bob Kosovsky
New York Public Library--Music Division
bitnet:   kos [at] cunyvms1__bitnet
internet: kos [at] cunyvms1__gc__cuny__edu

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 25, 1991