Subject: Cataloging microform masters on OCLC

Cataloging microform masters on OCLC

From: Julie Page <jpage>
Date: Thursday, May 16, 1991
Walter:  Here is an addition to Crystal's submission I sent you earlier
today.  Julie Page  jpage [at] ucsd__bitnet

    Here's an update on my earlier submission.  Thanks to Virginia
    Bartow of NYPL for the new information. (She's speaking on
    bibliographic control of preservation microfilms at the PLMS
    Preconference on Preservation Microfilming at ALA in Atlanta).

    Although OCLC offered the option of including preservation
    information in local data records, no libraries have elected to do
    that.  All records which include preservation microfilming
    information are input or loaded as separate records, as described in
    my previous message.

    OCLC is preparing documentation on searching OCLC for preservation
    microfilms, inputting preservation data, and decision-making about
    preservation microfilms.  This documentation should be available in
    time for the ALA meeting.

    I reported earlier that OCLC was considering the use of the 583 note
    for preservation decisions; they have decided against that idea.
    (The 583 is currently valid in OCLC for the archives & manuscripts
    format and often contains confidential information.  RLIN uses it
    for preservation information as well, but OCLC is not going to do
    that).

    Crystal Graham
    University of California, San Diego
    cgraham [at] ucsd__bitnet