Subject: Cataloging microform masters on OCLC

Cataloging microform masters on OCLC

From: Julie Page <jpage>
Date: Thursday, May 16, 1991
Walter:  Here is a response to a recent query on the Cons DistList.
Crystal is very knowledgeable about the issues so I hope you will run
it.  Thanks, Julie Page jpage [at] ucsd__bitnet

    Charlotte Payne's query about preservation microform records in OCLC
    was forwarded to me by our Preservation Librarian, Julie Page.  I do
    not receive the list server myself, and I apologize if I repeat
    information which others have already contributed.

    You need not fret about migrating to OCLC vis-a-vis microform
    masters.  OCLC offers three different ways for libraries to
    contribute records for microform masters.  The first is to include
    such information in local data records, accessible to other
    libraries through the union list system.  (This may be the "local
    information" you referred to).  I do not know of any library using
    that option, but I will endeavor to find out more about it. (Perhaps
    someone reading this message can contribute more information?)

    The second option is tape-loading.  OCLC and RLIN have a long-
    standing agreement to exchange tapes for preservation masters, so
    all RLIN records for microform masters are available in OCLC. OCLC
    also loads tapes for preservation masters from the national
    libraries (e.g. LC), from libraries which catalog microforms on
    their local systems (e.g. Harvard), as well as microforms that are
    available commercially (e.g. ALTA).  These records do not look any
    different from the records input online; my point is that OCLC
    includes many records for microform masters from non- OCLC
    libraries.  (The one category of information currently online in
    RLIN which you will no longer see are the "queued" records.  I can't
    predict the future of those records with RLG's upcoming changes).

    The third and most popular option is online cataloging in OCLC. OCLC
    has endorsed and distributed the ARL Guidelines for Bibliographic
    Records for Preservation Microform Masters. Libraries can "clone"
    records for the microform by using OCLC's "new" function (similar to
    RLIN's "cre*") to copy the record for the original publication.  In
    order to communicate "decision to film" information, OCLC allows
    libraries to catalog "prospectively"; that is, to create a record
    for the microform before filming.

    OCLC is very flexible, allowing libraries to choose whichever of the
    following methods best fits their internal workflows. One option is
    to have non-cataloging staff create prospective records, by
    "cloning" the original record and adding preservation data,
    including the phrase "to be filmed 199x" in the 533 $d. When the
    filming is completed, those records are completed by catalogers.
    Another option for prospective cataloging is to create full-level
    cataloging records as soon as the decision to film is made.   The
    record is completely cataloged before sending the book to be filmed
    and no updating is required.   Ohio State, which has a contract
    specifying a quick turn-around on filming, completed a very
    successful pilot project using this method.

    Here at UCSD our procedure is somewhere in between those two
    extremes.  We create full-level cataloging records before filming,
    but we put "to be filmed" in the reproduction note. When the film
    comes back from the lab, the catalog maintenance unit inputs the
    date of filming and supplies other data such as the reproduction
    ratio.  (If you have access to OCLC, you can see an example by
    looking at #23747275, a record I cataloged a few minutes ago).

    Let me emphasize that the ARL Guidelines do NOT require AACR2
    records.  The cataloger is responsible for assuring that all of the
    required fields are present and for checking headings against the
    LCNAF.  Cataloging preservation microforms on OCLC is very efficient
    using the new PRISM software.  PRISM includes a "constant data"
    feature, similar to a word processing macro, which allows the
    cataloger to make a template of recurring data. For preservation
    records, the 007 and 533 fields can be added with a few keystrokes.

    Retrieval of microform records on OCLC is a little different from
    RLIN.  On RLIN, you search the entry and the resulting browse screen
    indicates preservation masters with the designation *a*. On OCLC, to
    search for microforms you search the entry qualified by the
    designation "/mf."  The browse screen does not differentiate
    microform records by generation, but the PRISM system makes it very
    easy to page through the bibliographic records if your search
    happens to retrieve more than one microform record.

    I've probably told you more than you want to know, but if you have
    any more questions I would be happy to answer them, either
    personally or on the list server.  There are indeed some worrisome
    aspects of your migration to OCLC, but I promise you that
    preservation microforms will not be one of them.

    Crystal Graham
    University of California, San Diego
    cgraham [at] ucsd__bitnet
    (619)534-1283