Subject: Scanning photographs

Scanning photographs

From: Mark Conrad <lmc6>
Date: Tuesday, May 7, 1991
I would like to add a query similar to that of Richard Pearce-Moses'
request for information about damage to photographs from photocopying.
Does anyone have information about potential damage to photographs from
scanning the image for use in a microcomputer.  We have had a number of
patrons that have asked for permission to bring in their computers and
scanners to capture our photographs.

Our collections are made up almost entirely of 20th century silver
gelatin prints.  Does it make a difference whether a flatbed or handheld
scanner is used?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark Conrad
Penn State University
lmc6 [at] ms__psu__edu
lmc6@psuadmin