Subject: Seminar on preservation of photographs

Seminar on preservation of photographs

From: Bob Kosovsky <kos>
Date: Friday, May 10, 1991
We recently received a flyer concerning this year's seminar in
Preservation of Photographs.  It's too long to enter the whole thing, so
here are some choice excerpts:

WHAT THE PARTICIPANTS WILL LEARN:
Through lectures and workshops, participants in this seminar will learn
to:
* identify processes used to make 19th & 20th century images
* understand the problems of cleaning various kinds of photographs
* prevent or halt image deterioration
* preserve photograph albums
* store and display photo collections

Topics covered in the practical lectures will be expanded upon in the
hands-on workshop sessions.  Participants may also submit specific
problems they've had in working with their photographic collections for
discussion by the instructors and other participants.  The program will
also include a discussion of the role of the conservator and an overview
of photographic conservation.

FACULTY:
James Reilly Directory, Image Permanence Institute, Rochester inst. of
     Technology
Grant Romer Conservator, Int'l Museum of Photography, George Eastman
     house
Debbie Norris Ass't Dir, Univ. of Delaware, Winterthur Museum,
     Conservation Program
Douglas Nishimura Image Permanence Institute, Rochester Institute of
     Technology

KEY TOPICS
Overview of Conservation
Historic and Contemporary Processes
Identification Techniques
Problems of Stabilizing and Cleaning Photographs

LOCATION & SCHEDULING
Program will be held at Int'l Museum of Photography at George Eastman
House, Rochester Institute of Technology.  Begins with an informal
reception on Saturday, Aug. 17, from 7-9 PM.  Daily sessions begin at
8:30 AM with 60-90 minute lunch breaks.  Some evening sessions
scheduled.

WHEN:  August 17-22, 1991.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Call Val Johnson at (716) 475-2736, or write to :
RIT/T&E Seminar Center
Frank E. Gannett Memorial Building
P.O. Box 9887
Rochester, NY 14623-0887

As I mentioned, my co-worker who attended found it to be very
fascinating and rewarding.  If anyone would like to speak to her, send
me an email message and I will give you her work phone number.

Bob Kosovsky
New York Public Library--Music Division
Bitnet:   kos [at] cunyvms1__bitnet
Internet: kos [at] cunyvms1__gc__cuny__edu

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 11, 1991