Subject: Photocopying photographs

Photocopying photographs

From: Doug Nishimura <dwnpph>
Date: Thursday, May 9, 1991
Hi.  I sent a copy of your comments about my comments to Richard. I
happen to agree with them.  Certainly 250 copies does not necessarily
exaggerate 1 copy since, as you point out, cycling et al, are not issues
with 1 copy.  However, I am a born archive cynic.  Having seen what
happens in archives when any limited precedent is set, I have a feeling
that there will not be a one copy limit.  I had heard, while I was at
the National Archives of Canada, about small precedents. If policy
allows 1 copy to be made, then every patron who wants instant copies
(many don't want to have to wait for a photographic copy nor want to
have to pay anything for such a copy.  An electrostatic copy is only 5
to 20 cents depending on where you are and they're just going to make
"one copy"  and since policy allowed one copy....) Part of the problem
there is with staff who either allow the copying to be done (since it is
only one copy) or who don't have firm control on patrons.

-Doug
"All the world's an analog stage, and digital circuits play only bit
        parts -- Launegayer"

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 11, 1991