Subject: Photocopying photographs

Photocopying photographs

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 1991
Doug,

I am rather used to thinking in general of the effects of light exposure
in dosimetric terms (not ignoring the questions of cycling, oxygen
sorption, etc, but putting them aside for the moment), so that the
question "Is it dangerous to make a single copy for use" is quite a
different question from "Is it dangerous to make 250 copies (whether all
at once, or spread over a period of time".  Thinking like this (and
influenced by the Saretsky publications), has given me the impression
that the net risk from a single (high intensity/short duration)
exposure, after which the original is stored in the dark, should
probably be less than that from a low intensity/long (unlimited) term
exposure if the original continues to be used.

Is this totally dumb as a rule of thumb?  (yes, I realize that the
entire affair is complicated by the past exposure history of the
original (ie if is near the end of its induction period).

(and let me say again how much your postings are appreciated here).

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 11, 1991