Subject: NOTIS and preservation

NOTIS and preservation

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, April 28, 1991
The following appeared on NOTRBCAT and ExLibris and is reposted here
without the author's knowledge:

    Date: 23 Apr 91
    Sender:       Rare Book and Special Collections Catalogers
                  <NOTRBCAT [at] INDYCMS__BITNET>
    From: "L. Dale Patterson" <LDPATT01 [at] ULKYVM__BITNET>
    Subject:      Preservation Work

    In a recent issue of NOTISes, the NOTIS, Inc. 'newsletter', there
    was a list of interest groups of which one was on Preservation. I
    have sent a query off to the chairs of that group, but also thought
    I would ask the question to you.

    Does anyone use NOTIS as a management tool, and specifically in
    documenting and planning preservation work. There is, of course, the
    583 field in most formats which can be used to plan and document
    such work. Is this what is used by those who do preservation work?
    Also, in what other ways do you use NOTIS as a management device, as
    opposed to using it for bibliographic descriptive purposes.

    I ask these questions as an archivist. We are beginning to use NOTIS
    for just some of these purposes and would to know what, and how,
    others have used NOTIS for tasks other than circulation, ordering
    and bibliographic work, i.e. management and preservation tasks.

    For those who wish to answer to me directly, I'll summarize to the
    list, but perhaps everyone would enjoy, benefit from, reading what
    we do in this area.

    Thanks.

    -- Dale Patterson
    University of Louisville