Subject: Excel binding

Excel binding

From: Dina Schoonmaker <pschoonmaker>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 1991
binding:

We have used a binder who invented this style for much of the 1980s
(for two years we switched to another binder who did the traditional
round back binding) and are binding excel style again.  Although I do
not like the looks of this style it has proved to be quite durable.  We
did quite an extensive review of the last five or six years of bound
serials and found only a few problems such as Jan mentioned in her 27
March communication. There were a few with creases down the spine from
head to tail from opening caused by non-arced opening.  However, we have
our serials all bound flush with the bottom, at no extra cost.  Those
that were done before our flush policy went into effect are falling
forward in their cases, but then so are the ones done in the two year
hiatus with the other company. The other big change we have effected is
to bind in much smaller groups.  We have changed our maximum from 3" to
2 1/2" and rarely bind anything over 2".  This has helped to produce
solid cases even if it costs more now.  The serials librarians of the
future will be grateful to us.

Dina Schoonmaker
Oberlin College Libarary College Library
pschoonmaker@Oberlin (bitnet)

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 28, 1991