Subject: Halon 1301

Halon 1301

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Thursday, April 18, 1991
In the planning of a new addition to the Library, there has been
discussion of removal of the HALON 1301 system from Special Collections
because of its "danger to the environment" and alleged inability to add
to the system when the Rare Books and Manuscript stacks are increased.
(These are NOT my com- ments or sentiments).  Noting that DuPont is
working on a HALON replacement, like Walter, I also saw the notice on
LIBPLN about that...but I would very much appreciate any information,
i.e. literature citations, that anyone has about this emerging system.
As it is now, they are planning to put sprinklers throughout the entire
library.  Thanks!

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian for Special Collections
University of West Florida Library
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750          bitnet:  ddebolt@uwf

    **** Moderator's comments:   I have a call in to the fellow at
    dupont and, if I dont hear anything back in a while, will call
    again.

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 21, 1991